Martin Luther King Jr. Day

By: Courtney

Most Americans probably went through their day today just like any other day. (besides perhaps the slight annoyance that the bank or post office was closed)

This year this holiday has taken on a new meaning for me. I soon will be the parent of a child whose skin is different than mine. Our family won't be just like every other family on the block. I am sure we will face some if not lots of opposition.

I obviously studied Martin Luther King, Jr. in school but now, as an adult, everything this man did and stood for means so much more to me.

Today while looking online for a specific Martin Luther King, Jr. quote, I found several that just blew my mind. He spoke not only against racism but ALL social injustice. I couldn't stop reading. Quote after quote after quote.  WOW. I would love to say just ONE thing in my lifetime that is a fraction as profound as one of these quotes and he has MULTIPLE profoud quotes!

One theme that really stood out for me in several of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s quotes was this:
Silence
Allowing the bad is just as harmful as the actual act.

Here are some quotes from Martin Luther King, Jr. that really spoke to me today:

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'

The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"


Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

I hope even just ONE of these quotes will stir your heart like they did mine.

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitue. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Proverbs 31:8-9

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP