Psalm 91

By Courtney:


Last Friday was our baby’s birthday.


HARDEST. DAY. I. HAVE. HAD. IN. A. LONG. TIME.

Up until now the entire adoption process hasn’t been as emotionally exhausting as I had mentally prepared myself for. Until now it has honestly been much smoother than my wildest dreams. (Ephesians 3:20)  UNTIL NOW that is. Whoa…  Up until this point I was on a mission and had steps to complete. I filled out forms, made copies, printed photos, got pages notarized, read books… Then my son’s third birthday arrives and BAM – it hit me like a ton of bricks (or more like 1,000 linebackers each carrying a ton of bricks) There is nothing I can do in this situation. AND I DON’T LIKE IT! Not one bit!!!! I can handle checking items off our list. I can handle the busy work. The helpless feeling of being across the globe from my child that has already made his home in my heart– I am not handling as well.
How do you celebrate your son’s third birthday when he is on another continent? How can he know you love him when you aren’t allowed to send him a gift, a card, or merely wish him a happy birthday? HEART WRENCHING….
Yet, in my suffocating self-pity, the Lord revealed to me multiple blessings in my life. So many friends have reached out to us and shown such support and encouragement that I am beyond thankful and blown away.  I have never experienced anything like the love that has been poured out over us.
God showed me HE has me in his hands. HE has my son in His hands.  He has placed me in the best community of supportive believers that support us and TOTALLY get adoption. He has given me strong Christian friends across the globe that have reached out to me with uplifting words (not even knowing I need it!) He is continuously showing me that HE is in control and that my worrying is senseless, useless, and does not honor Him.
A friend prayed over us and for our son.  She spoke scripture over him and us. It gave me goosebumps the second she began speaking. I could not hold back the tears.
Psalm 91
 1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
   will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
   my God, in whom I trust.”
 3 Surely he will save you
   from the fowler’s snare
   and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
   and under his wings you will find refuge;
   his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
   nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
   nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
   ten thousand at your right hand,
   but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
   and see the punishment of the wicked.
 9 If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,”
   and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
   no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
   to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
   you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
 14 “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;
   I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
   I will be with him in trouble,
   I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
   and show him my salvation.”

If you are wondering what could possibly give you peace when your child has no one to tuck him in at night, I can tell you. The knowledge that the 91st Psalm is for me, for you, for the orphan. My God is watching over my son as he sleeps. He is protecting and holding him until we can.
I challenge you to memorize this. (I am also challenging myself) Speak this over your family. Pray and speak this over MY family. Pray and speak this over adoption.
Your prayers make a difference. They already have.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP